Materials Science and Engineering
771 Ferst Drive, N.W.
Atlanta, GA 30332-0245
B.Cer.E Georgia Institute of Technology
M.S. Ceramic Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
Ph.D. Ceramic Engineering, Ohio State University
Dr. Cochran is a Professor in the School of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) at the Georgia Institute of Technology. His long-time association with Georgia Tech began as student receiving his B.S. and M.S. from the School of Ceramic Engineering. After receiving his Ph.D. from Ohio State University in Ceramic Engineering (1971) he returned to Tech joining the faculty ranks where he ultimately served as the B. Mifflin Hood Professor and Associate Chair in the School of MSE. Dr. Cochran's primary focus is now research oriented where he concentrates on a variety of processing techniques coupled with reactive sintering to fabricate net shape alloys, intermetallics and ceramics of controlled microstructure to provide optimized properties.
- Ceramic processing
- Cellular structure fabrication
- Reactive, net shape, ceramic to metal conversion
Current research focuses on processing/properties of alloy honeycomb fabricated by direct reduction of extruded oxide powders, supported by DARPA & ONR for thermal management and lightweight structural applications. Most recently, extrusion technology of reactive materials has been extended to low cost single step fabrication of layered SOFCs. Current linear cellular alloy (LCA) applications are based on high performance, high strain rate properties and includes capsules for energetic materials (munitions) and multifunctional lightweight armor. Fabrication techniques for new transducer designs are being developed in conjunction with Bob Newnham’s group to include linear piezoelectric acoustic structures with multimode directional properties. Reactive processing of nitrides is resulting in net shape fabrication of intermetallics (MoSiB) for turbine blade applications.
Academic and Professional Honors, Activities
- B. Mifflin Hood Professor of Ceramics, MSE, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1993-2004
- Associate Chair, MSE, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995-2004
- Member, European Academy of Sciences, Elected 2002
- Fellow, American Ceramic Society, 1982
- Advisor to SAIC Award Recipient for best MS Paper, Adam Nagel, 1998
- Hewitt Wilson Award, Southeastern Section American Ceramic Society, 1994
- Interim Chair, MSE, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1993
- ABET Examiner, Ceramic Eng., NICE, 1986-Present, Materials Eng., TMS 1997-Present
- Advisor to Georgia Tech Sigma Xi Award Recipients, 1970, 81, 83, 85, 86, 97
- Southeast Section, American Ceramic Society, Officers Chain, 1779-1982, Chair 1983
- Whitewares Division, American Ceramic Society, Officers Chain 1975-1979, Chair 1980
- NSF, Research Initiation Grant, 1972 (Equivalent to NSF’s current PYI/Career Award)
- Sigma Xi, Georgia Tech, Outstanding MS Thesis Research Award, 1969
- Memberships Technical Societies: ACerS, SE Section ACerS, NICE, Keramos, MRS, TMS, ASM
- P.B. Onaji and J.K. Cochran, "Structure and AC Properties of Electron-Beam Evaporated Zirconia Thin Films," Materials Chemistry and Physics, 13, 105-128, (1985)
- J.K. Cochran, S.G. Pope, K.O. Legg and H.F. Solnick-Legg, "Ion Implanted Precipitate and Annealing Enhance Mechanical Properties of Ceramic Surfaces", Industrial Heating, 43-46, Sept. (1986)
- J.K. Cochran, A.T. Chapman, D.N. Hill, and K.J. Lee, "Low Voltage Field Emission from Tungsten Fiber Arrays in a Stabilized Zirconia Matrix," J. Materials Research, 2, (3), 322-328, (1987)
- J.K. Cochran, K.J. Lee, and D.N. Hill, "Comparison of Low Voltage Field Emission from TaC and Tungsten Fiber Arrays", J. Materials Research, 3, (1), 67-74, (1988)
- S.G. Pope and J.K. Cochran, "Mechanical Properties of Silicon Ion Implanted and Annealed Sapphire and Polycrystalline Alumina", J. Mater. Eng., 11, 133-139, (1989)
- R.B. Clancy, T.H. Sanders, and J.K. Cochran, "Fabrication of Thin-Wall Hollow Nickel Spheres and Low Density Syntactic Foams," Light Weight Alloys for Aerospace Applications II, TMS-AIME, 477-485, (1991)
- A.T. Hunt, W.B. Carter, J.K. Cochran, "Combustion Chemical Vapor Deposition: A Novel Thin-Film Deposition Technique," Appl. Phys. Lett., 63(2), 266-268, July 12, (1993).
- R. Meyer, H. Weitzing, Q. Xu, Q. Zhang, R.E. Newnham, and J.K. Cochran, "PZT Hollow-Sphere Transducers," J. American Ceramic Society, 77(6), 1669-1772, (1994).
- R.B. Clancy, J.K. Cochran, T.H. Sanders, "Fabrication and Properties of Hollow Sphere Nickel Foams", Spheres and Microspheres: Synthesis and Applications, MRS Proceedings, 372, 155-163, (1995).
- J.H. Chung, J. K. Cochran, K.J. Lee, "Compressive Mechanical Behavior of Hollow Ceramic Spheres", Spheres and Microspheres: Synthesis and Applications, MRS, 372, 179-186, (1995).
- D.N. Hill, J.D. Lee, J.K. Cochran, and A.T., Chapman, " Vapor deposited cone formation during fabrication of low voltage field emitter array cathodes,” J. Materials Science, 1789-1796, April, (1996).
- Alkoy, S., Dogan, A., Hladky, A.C., Langlet, P., Cochran, J.K., Newnham, R.E. “Miniature Piezoelectric Hollow Sphere Transducers (BBs)”, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 44, (5), 1067-1076, (1997).
- A.R. Nagel, C. Uslu, K.J. Lee, J. K. Cochran, T. H. Sanders, “Steel Closed Cell Foams from Direct Oxide Reduction”, Synthesis/Processing of Light Weight Metallic Materials II, TMS, 395-406, (1997).
- Joe K. Cochran, “Ceramic Hollow Spheres and Their Applications”, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, 3, 474-479, (1998).
- J. K. Cochran, K. J. Lee, R.W. Rice, “Fabrication of Silicon Carbide Hollow Spheres”, Proceedings 9th CIMTEC-World Ceramics Congress, V 16, 463-470, Florence, Italy, (1998).
- K M Hurysz, J K Cochran, K J Lee, TH Sanders, JL Clark, “Dual Adsorption on Negatively Charged Surfaces in Non-Aqueous Media”, Innovative Processes/Synthesis: Ceramics, Glasses, and Composites III, Ceramic Transactions, 108, 131-138, (1999).
- Alkoy, S., Newnham, R.E., Hladky, A.C.,Dogan, A., Cochran, J.K., “Piezoelectric Hollow Spheres for Microprobe Hydrophones”, Ferroelectrics, 226, 11-25, (1999).
- J.H. Nadler, T.H. Sanders, Jr., J.K. Cochran, “Aluminum Hollow Sphere Processing,” Materials Science Forum, 331-337, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, 495-500, (2000).
- K. M. Hurysz, J. K. Cochran, J. L. Clark. K. J. Lee, T. H. Sanders, “Optimum Iron Oxide Paste Formulation for Complex Geometry Extrusion”, Innovative Processes/Synthesis: Ceramics, Glasses, and Composites IV, Ceramic Transactions, 115, 173-181, (2000).
- Richard Meyer Jr., S. Alkoy, T. Ritter, J.K. Cochran Jr., and R.E. Newnham, “Pre-focused Lead Titanate > 25 Mhz Single Element Transducers from Hollow Spheres”, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelecectrics and Frequency Control, 48, 488-493, (2001).
- R.E. Newnham, J. Zhang, R.J. Meyer, S. Alkoy, J. K. Cochran, and D. Markley, “Processing of Miniature Hollow Sphere Transducers”, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 42, 235-243, (2002).
- Alethea M. Hayes, David L. McDowell, Joe K. Cochran, “Compressive Properties of Maraging Steel Honeycomb under Quasi-Static and Dynamic Loading”, Processing and Properties of Lightweight Cellular Metals and Structures, TMS, 223-232, (2002).
- K. M. Hurysz and J. K. Cochran, “Application of high solids content suspension models to pastes,” Journal of European Ceramic Society, 23, 2047-2052, (2003)
- Joe Cochran, Kevin Hurysz, Kon Jiun Lee, and Tom Sanders, “Extrusion and Thermo-chemical Processing of Layered Linear Cellular Alloys”, Materials Science Forum, 426-432, 4295-4300, (2003)
- Kevin M. Hurysz and Joe K. Cochran, “Modeling paste properties with minimum experimentation”, Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, 5, No. 3, 191-195 (2004)
- R.E. Newnham, D.C. Markley, R.J. Meyer, Jr., W.J. Hughes, A.C. Hladky-Hennion, J.K. Cochran, Jr., "Multimode Underwater Transducers," American Ceramic Society Bulletin, 83, No.9, 25-28, (2004).
- B.C. Church, T.H. Sanders, , R.F. Speyer, J.K. Cochran, “ Interconnect Thermal Expansion Matching in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells” Journal of Materials Science, 40, 4893-4898, (2005)
- Raymond Oh, Iuliana Dragomir-Cernatescu, Robert L. Snyder and Joe K. Cochran, “Residual Stress Analysis of a Co-Extruded Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Platform”, Proceedings Materials Science and Technology 2005, p. 41-52, (2005)
- Meyer, R.J., Jr., , Cochran, J.K., Jr., Uzgur, A.E., Newnham, R.E., Giniewicz, J.R., “Pressure limitations of miniature hollow sphere hydrophones”, Ferroelectrics, 315, 17-29, (2005)
- Michael Middlemas and Joe Cochran, "Three-Phase Mo-Si-B Alloys from Nitride-Based Reactions", Proceedings Advanced Metallic Composites and Alloys for High Performance Applications, TMS, p. 63-72, (2007).
- Chris Rockett, Michael Middlemas, and Joe Cochran, “Mechanical Testing of the Molybdenum Solid-Solution Matrix in MoSiB Alloys", Proceedings Advanced Metallic Composites and Alloys for High Performance Applications, TMS, p. 95-104, (2007)
- Michael Middlemas, Joe Cochran, “Oxidation Behavior of Mo-Si-B Alloys Produced By Reaction Synthesis”, Proceedings Structural Materials Division, TMS, p. 30-36 (2008)
- Michael R. Middlemas and Joe K. Cochran, “Dense, Fine Grain Mo-Si-B Alloys from Nitride-Based Reactions”, Journal of Metals, 60, No. 7, p 19-24, July, (2008)
- Michael Middlemas, Joe Cochran, Arun Gokhale, “Microstructural Engineering of Mo-Si-B Alloys Produced Using Nitride-Based Reactions” Proceedings Vol. 1: Materials, Processing, and Properties, TMS, 2009, 177-184, (2009)
- Sedat Alkoy, Richard J Meyer Jr, W Jack Hughes, Joe K Cochran Jr, and Robert E Newnham, “Design, performance and modeling of piezoceramic hollow-sphere microprobe hydrophones” Meas. Sci. Technol. 20, p 1-9, August, (2009)
- Anthony Fredenburg, Adam Jakus, Tammy McCoy, Joe Cochran, Naresh Thadhani, “Processing and Dynamic Properties of High-Energy-Density Linear Cellular Alloy (LCA) Coupled Structural Energetic Materials”, JANNAF 2009, p. 1-7, (12/2009)
- Michael R. Middlemas and Joe K. Cochran, “The Microstructural Engineering of Mo-Si-B Alloys Produced by Reaction Synthesis” Journal of Metals, 62, No. 10, p 20-24, (2010)
- J.K. Cochran, J.D. Lee, A.T. Chapman, and D.N. Hill, "Method for Producing Low Voltage Field Emission Cathode Structure," U.S. Patent 4,253,221, March 1981
- J.K. Cochran, "Method for Producing Fiber Reinforced Hollow Microspheres," U.S. Patent 4,671,994, June 1987.
- J.K. Cochran, "Fiber Reinforced Microspheres Made from Dispersed Particle Compositions and Methods for Producing Them," U.S. Patent 4,867,931, September 1989.
- J.K. Lee, J.K. Cochran, and T.J. Hwang, “Advanced Radiant Gas Burner and Method Utilizing Flame Support Rod Structure”, US Patent 5,641,282, June 24, 1997.
- A.T. Hunt, J.K. Cochran, and W.B. Carter, U.S. Patent 5,652,021, "Method and Apparatus for the Combustion Chemical Vapor Deposition of Films and Coatings", July 29, 1997
- A.T. Hunt, J.K. Cochran, and W.B. Carter, U.S. Patent 5,863,604, "Method for the Combustion Chemical Vapor Deposition of Films and Coatings", January 26, 1999
- A.T. Hunt, J.K. Cochran, and W.B. Carter, U.S. Patent 6,013,318 "Method for the Combustion Chemical Vapor Deposition of Films and Coatings", January 11, 2000
- Robert E Newnham, Joe K. Cochran, Sedat Alkoy, US Patent 6,215,231 B1, “Hollow Sphere Transducers”, April 10, 2001
- Joe Cochran, Jim Lee, Tom Sanders, US Patent 6,582,651 B1, “Methods of Producing Metallic Articles by Direct Chemical Conversion of Nonmetallic Articles”, 6/24/2003.
- Joe Cochran, Jim Lee, Meilin Liu, and Bill Rauch, US Patent 7,220,506, “Hybrid Monolithic Fuel Cell”, 5/22/2007.
- Carol Ann Wedding, Thomas J. Pavliscak, Oliver M. Strbik, III, Joe K. Cochran, Jr. “Hollow Shell and Method of Manufacture”, US Patent 7,776,255 B1, 8/17/2010