What is MSE?
The field of Materials Science and Engineering focuses on the development of new materials for the next generation of engineering applications. It views biomaterials, nanomaterials, ceramics, metals, polymers, electronic materials and composites from a fundamental point, emphasizing the relationships between the atomic- and microstructure as well as the properties, processing and performance of the material.
Current materials research projects in the School of MSE involve the synthesis of nanomaterials for the construction of nanoscale machines; the use of diamond coatings as a bio-barrier to prevent the body from attacking implants; the use of the genetic patterns founds in nature to harness the ribosome to manufacture biosensors and photonic circuits; the development of conductive polymers for a new generation of MEMS devices; the development of a form fitting light-weight armor that can stop ballistic projectiles; the development of hydrogen burning fuel cells to power a future generation of automobiles; etc. In projects like these, materials scientists lead the way to turning yesterday’s science fiction into tomorrow’s reality.
Reasons Why You Should Choose MSE
- MSE has the highest average combined SAT scores in engineering at Georgia Tech!
- The Georgia Institute of Technology is one of the nation's top research universities, distinguished by its commitment to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
- MSE keeps your options open. With a degree in MSE you can work in the electronic, biomedical or aerospace industries among others, or move on to obtain an advanced degree in nearly any field. The MSE degree is a very versatile and widely respected undergraduate degree!
- Paid Research Assistantships are available to interested undergraduates in research areas tailored to meet students’ interests.
- Georgia Tech's campus occupies 400 acres in the heart of the city of Atlanta, where more than 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students receive a focused, technologically based education.
- MSE Graduates entering the workforce received salaries averaging 70K/year, according to Fall 2012 data.
- MSE has small classes which gives you personal instruction and direct interaction with faculty. No T.A’s teach our classes.
- We have active student chapters of professional societies within our school, and opportunities for leadership positions within them.