Dr. Dong Qin is a Professor in the School of Materials Science and Engineering, with an adjunct appointment in the School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, at the Georgia Institute of Technology (GT). Her academic records include a B.S. in Chemistry from Fudan University, a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry with Professor Hai-Lung Dai from University of Pennsylvania, a postdoctoral stint with Professor George M. Whitesides at Harvard University, and an MBA from the University of Washington. Dr. Qin is a recipient of the GT-Class of 1940 W. Roane Beard Outstanding Teacher Award (2020), GT-Provost Teaching and Learning Fellow Award (2018), GT-Geoffrey G. Eichholz Faculty Teaching Award (2018), 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award (2015), and GT-CETL/BP Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award (2015).
Dr. Qin has pioneered a set of in situ techniques for the characterization of atomic/molecular events on the surface of noble-metal nanocrystals in a liquid phase and under operando conditions. In one example, she established the use of surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) in probing the heterogeneous nucleation and growth of colloidal nanocrystals, as well as catalytic reactions on the surface of designer nanocrystals.
Dr. Qin is also widely recognized for her many original contributions to the rational synthesis of metal nanocrystals with novel properties. Dr. Qin has co-authored 80 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals, with an h-index of 39. Among them, she is the corresponding author of 33 papers since she started at GT in 2012. Dr. Qin is an Associate Editor of Nanoscale (with an impact factor of 7.79), Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), and also serves on the advisory boards of Journal of Materials Chemistry C and Nanoscale Horizon, RSC. In 2021, Dr. Qin was elected a Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC). Founded in 1841, RSC is the largest organization in Europe for advancing the chemical sciences.
PUBLICATIONS & PATENTS
A list of publications is available at http://www.researcherid.com/rid/E-1434-2011
- “Noble-metal nanoframes and their catalytic applications”, Yang, T.-H. Ahn, J.; Shi, S.; Wang, P.; Gao, R. and Qin, D.* Chemical Reviews 2021, 121, 796–833.
- "Bifunctional Metal Nanocrystals for Catalyzing and Reporting on Chemical Reactions", S. Shi and D. Qin, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2020, 59, 3782-3792.
- "Transforming Noble-Metal Nanocrystals into Complex Nanostructures through Facet-Selective Etching and Deposition", J. Ahn, L. Zhang, and D. Qin, ChemNanoMat, 2020, 6, 5-14.
- "Fabrication of Nanoscale Cage Cubes by Drilling Orthogonal, Intersected Holes through All Six Side Faces of Ag Nanocubes", J. Ahn and D. Qin, Chemistry of Materials, 2019, 31, 9179–9187.
- “In Situ atomic-level tracking of heterogeneous nucleation in nanocrystal growth with an isocyanide molecular probe”, Wu, Y. and Qin, D. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2018, 140, 8340–8349.
- “Rational design and synthesis of bifunctional metal nanocrystals for probing catalytic reactions by surface-enhanced Raman scattering”, Zhang, Y.; Wu, Y.; and D. Qin Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2018, 6, 5353–5362.
- “Syntheses, plasmonic properties, and catalytic applications of Ag-Rh core-frame nanocubes and Rh nanoboxes with highly porous walls”, Zhang, Y.; Ahn, J.; Liu, J.; and Qin, D. Chemistry of Materials, 2018, 30, 2151–2159.
- “Site-selective carvings and co-deposition: Transformation of Ag nanocubes into concave nanocrystals encased by Au-Ag alloy frames”, Ahn, J.; Wang, D.; Zhang, J.; Yong, D.; and Qin, D. ACS Nano, 2018, 12, 298–307.
- “Enriching silver nanocrystals with a second noble metal”, Wu, Y.; Sun, X.; Yang, Y.; Li, J.; Zhang, Y. and Qin, D. Accounts for Chemical Research, 2017, 50, 1774–1784.
- “Observing the overgrowth of a second metal on silver cubic seeds in solution by surface-enhanced Raman scattering”, Zhang, Y.; Jiu, J.; Ahn, J.; Xiao, T.; Li, Z.-Y. and Qin, D. ACS Nano, 2017, 11, 5080–5086.
- “Gold-based cubic nanoboxes with well-defined openings at the corners and ultrathin walls less than two nanometers thick”, Sun, X.; Kim, J.; Gilroy, K. D.; Liu, J.; König, T. A. F. and Qin, D. ACS Nano 2016, 10, 8019–8025.
- “Bifunctional Ag@Pd-Ag nanocubes for highly sensitive monitoring of catalytic reactions by surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy”, Li, J.; Liu, J.; Yang, Y. and Qin, D. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2015, 137, 7039–7042.
- Galvanic replacement-free deposition of Au on Ag for core-shell nanocubes with enhanced chemical stability and SERS activity, Y. Yang; J. Liu; Z. Fu; and D. Qin, JACS, 136, 8153-8156, (2014).
EDUCATION & AWARDS
- B.S. in Chemistry, 1990, Fudan University, China
- Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, 1996, University of Pennsylvania
- 2021 Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)
- The Class of 1940 W. Roane Beard Outstanding Teacher Award (2020)
- Provost Teaching and Learning Fellow (2019-2020)
- Geoffrey G. Eichholz Faculty Teaching Award (2018-2019)
- CETL-BP Junior Faculty Teaching Award (2015)
- 3M Non-tenured Faculty Award (2015-2018)