Office: LOVE 258
M.S. Materials Science & Engineering, 1986, University of California, Berkeley
Ph.D. Materials Science & Engineering, 1989, University of California, Berkeley
Dr. Liu's primary interests lie in fundamental understanding of the effect of structure, defects, and microstructure on transport and electrical properties of surfaces and interfaces. In particular, he is interested in developing new materials for energy storage and conversion, for chemical sensing, and for hydrogen production and separation In addition, he is interested in mathematical modeling of mass and charge transport in solid electrochemical systems and polarization at interfaces.
New materials and novel structures for fuel cells, batteries, and supercapicators
Dr. Liu's current research activities include (1) in-situ characterization of gas-solid interactions using FTIR/Raman spectromicroscopy, impedance spectroscopy, and mass spectrometry; (2) study of transport phenomena and kinetics in ionic and electronic conductors and the effect of imperfections on electrophysical and electrochemical properties; (3) fabrication and characterization of ceramic membranes, thin films, and coatings; mesoporous and nanostructured electrodes and interfaces; and solid-state ionic devices; and (4) development of new materials for high-selectivity gas sensors, for high-energy-density batteries, for low-temperature solid-state fuel cells, and for high temperature PEM fuel cells.
Dr. Liu holds 20 U.S. patents and a number of patent applications, co-edited seven proceedings volumes, and published more than 250 papers in reputed journals, book chapter, and conference proceedings. He has also been the co-organizer of 11 international symposia/workshops on materials for energy storage and conversion devices, sensors, and gas separation.
Dr. Liu is a fellow of the American Ceramic Society (ACerS) and the Electrochemical Society (ECS). He is the recipient of a Ross Coffin Purdy Award (American Ceramic Society, 2010), an NASA Tech Brief Award (2007), an invited participant, US-Japan Frontiers of Engineering (National Academy of Engineering, 2007); a Crystal Flame Innovation Award in Research (FuelCell South, 2005); an Outstanding Achievement in Research Program Development Award (Georgia Tech, 2003), A Sustained Research Award (Sigma Xi, 2003), a senior Teaching Fellow (Georgia Tech, 2002), a Best Faculty Paper Award (Sigma Xi, 2001), an Outstanding Faculty Research Author Award (Georgia Tech, 1999), an invited participant, Frontiers of Engineering (National Academy of Engineering, 1997), a Best MS Thesis Advisor Award (Sigma Xi, 1996), a National Young Investigator Award (NSF, 1993-98), and a Scholastic Achievement Award (Golden Gate Chapter of ASM, 1986).
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/E-5782-2010
Google Scholar Citations: http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=1YvZ8LAAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&is_public_preview=1
1. Meilin Liu, M. Lynch, K. Blinn, F. Alamgir, and Y. Choi, “Rational SOFC Material Design: New Advances and Tools”, Materials Today, November, 2011, Vol. 14, 534-546.
2. M. K. Song, S. J. Park, F. Alamgir, J. P. Cho, and Meilin Liu, “Nanostructured Electrodes for Li-Ion and Li-Air Batteries: the Latest Development, Challenges, and Perspectives”, Materials Science Engineering: R: Reports, 2011, 72, 203-252. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mser.2011.06.001.
3. Z. Cheng, J. H. Wang, Y. M. Choi, L. Yang, M. C. Lin, and Meilin Liu, “From Ni-YSZ to Sulfur-Tolerant Anodes: Electrochemical Behavior, Modeling, In Situ Characterization, and Perspectives”, Energy and Environmental Science, Perspective Review, 2011, 4, 4380-4409. DOI:10.1039/C1EE01758F.
4. J. S. Lee, S. T. Kim, R. G. Cao, N. S. Choi, Meilin Liu. K. T. Lee, J. Cho, “Metal–Air Batteries with High Energy Density: Li–Air versus Zn–Air”, Advanced Energy Materials, 1(1), 34-50, 2011. (DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201000010).
5. L. Besra and Meilin Liu, “A review on fundamentals and applications of electrophoretic deposition (EPD)”, Progress in Materials Science, 52, 1-61, 2007.
6. Y. M. Choi, D. S. Mebane, J.-H. Wang, Meilin Liu, "Continuum and Quantum-Chemical Modeling of Oxygen Reduction on the Cathode in a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell," Topics in Catalysis, 46 (3-4), 386-401 (2007).
7. Ruiguo Cao, Jang-Soo Lee, Meilin Liu*, and Jaephil Cho*, Recent Progress in Non-precious Catalysts for Metal-air Batteries, Advanced Energy Materials, in press.
1. Chendong Zuo, Mingfei Liu, and Meilin Liu, Chapter 2 - Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, in Sol-Gel Processing for Conventional and Alternative Energy, Advances in Sol-Gel Derived Materials and Technology (Editor: Lisa Klein), Springer Science, NY 2012. pp. 7-36. ISBN 978-1-4614-1956-3; e-SBN 978-1-4614-1957-0; DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-1957-0
2. Heon-Cheol Shin and Meilin Liu, “Preparation of Hierarchial (Nano/Meso/Macro) Porous Structures Using Electrochemical Deposition”, in Progress in Corrosion Science and Engineering II, Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, 2012, Chapter 4, Volume 47, 297-330, DOI:10.1007/978-1-4419-6678-4_4
3. J. H. Wang, Y. M. Choi, and M. Liu, "Quantum Chemical Calculations of Surface and Interfacial Reactions in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells," In Quantum Chemical Calculations of Surfaces and Interfaces of Materials (Editors: V. A. Basiuk and P. Ugliengo), Chapter 14, p. 289-304, American Scientific Publishers, Los Angeles 2009.
4. Ying Liu and Meilin Liu, “Nanostructured Electrodes Prepared by Combustion CVD for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Lithium-Ion Batteries, and Gas Sensors”, in Nanomaterials for Energy Storage Applications (Editor: Hari Singh Nalwa), Chapter 4, p. 130-155, American Scientific Publishers, Los Angeles 2009.
5. Z. Cheng, J. H. Wang, and M. Liu, “Anodes”, in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells: Materials Properties and Performance (Editors: J. W. Fergus, R. Hui, X. G. Li, D. P. Wilkinson, and J. J. Zhang), Chapter 2, p.73-130, CRC Press 2008.
6. Zhong Shi and Meilin Liu, “Electrical and Electrochemical Analysis of Nanophase Materials”, In Characterization of Nanophase Materials (Editor: Z. L. Wang), Chapter 6, p. 165-197, Wiley-VCH, Germany, 2000.
Other Selected Publications
- Mingfei Liu, YongMan Choi, Lei Yang, Kevin Blinn, Wentao Qin, Ping Liu, and Meilin Liu, “Direct Octane Fuel Cells: A Promising Power for Transportation”, Nano Energy, 1, pp.448-455, 2012.
- M. K. Song, S. Cheng, H. Chen, W. Qin, J. Bai, T. Tyson, Nan, Yang, S. Xu, A. Bongiorno, & M. Liu, “Enhanced Pseudo-capacitive Behavior of Nano-structured, Mixed-valence Metal Oxide Electrode for Electrical Energy Storage”, Nano Lett., under review
- Yang, L.; S. Chen, S.; Ding,Y.; Wang, Z.; Liu, M., " Hierarchical Network Architectures of Carbon Fiber Paper Supported Cobalt Oxide Nanonet for High-Capacity Pseudocapacitors", Nano Lett., 2012, 12 (1), pp 321–325. DOI: 10.1021/nl203600x.
- K. S. Blinn, Harry Abernathy, Xiaxi Li, Mingfei Liu, Lawrence A. Bottomley, Meilin Liu, “ Raman Spectroscopic Monitoring of Carbon Deposition on Hydrocarbon-Fed Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Anodes”, Energy and Environmental Science, in press,
- Ziyin Lin, Gordon Waller, Yan Liu, Meilin Liu*, Ching-ping Wong*, “Facile Synthesis of Nitrogen-doped Graphene via Pyrolysis of Graphene Oxide and Urea and its Electrocatalytic Activity toward Oxygen Reduction Reaction”, Advanced Energy Materials, in press.
- Xiaxi Li, Kevin Blinn, Yingcui Fang, Mingfei Liu, Mahmoud A. Mahmoud, Shuang Cheng, Lawrence A. Bottomley, Mostafa El-Sayed and Meilin Liu, “Application of surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy to the study of SOFC electrode surfaces”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2012, DOI: 10.1039/c2cp40091j
- L. Yang, Y. Choi, W. Qin, H. Chen, K. Blinn, M. F. Liu, P. Liu, J. Bai, T. A. Tyson, M. Liu, “Promotion of Water-Mediated Carbon Removal by Nanostructured BaO/Ni Interfaces in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells” Nature Communications, 2, 357, 2011.
- M. H. Park, Y. H. Cho, K. Kim, J. Kim, M. Liu, and J. Cho, “Germanium Nanotubes Prepared by Using the Kirkendall Effect as Anodes for High-Rate Lithium Batteries” Angew. Chem, Int. Ed., 2011, 50, 6947. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201103062.
- J. Bae, M. K. Song, Y. J. Park, J. M. Kim, M. L. Liu, Z. L Wang, “Fiber supercapacitors made of nanowire-fiber hybrid structure for wearable/stretchable energy storage”, Angewandte Chemie, Int. Ed., 50 (7) 1683-1687, 2011 (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201006062).
- Jang-Soo Lee, Gi Su Park, Sun Tai Kim, Ruiguo Cao, Meilin Liu, and Jaephil Cho, “Ketjenblack Carbon Supported Amorphous Manganese Oxides Nanowires as Highly Efficient Electrocatalyst for Oxygen Reduction Reaction in Alkaline Solutions”, Nano Letters, 2011, 11(12), pp 5362-5366. dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl2029078
- M. Lynch, L. Yang, W. Qin, J. J. Choi, M. F. Liu, K. Blinn, and M. Liu, “Enhancement of La0.6Sr0.4Co0.2Fe0.8O3-δ Durability & Surface Electro-catalytic Activity by La0.85Sr0.15MnO3-δ Investigated using a New Test Electrode Platform” Energy and Environmental Science, 4, 2249-2258 (2011). DOI: 10.1039/c1ee01188j
- Zhihao Bao, Min-Kyu Song, Stanley Davis, Ye Cai, Meilin Liu, and Kenneth H. Sandhage,”Shape-preserving Reactive Conversion of Complex-shaped 3D Silica Micro-assemblies into High Surface Area Micro/mesoporous Carbon and Platinum-loaded Carbon”, Energy & Environmental Science, 2011, 4, 3980-3984. DOI: 10.1039/c1ee02102h.
- D. Zhao, J. H. Li, M.-K. Song, B. L. Yi, H. M. Zhang, M. L. Liu, “A Durable Alternative for Proton-Exchange Membranes: Sulfonated Poly(Benzoxazole Thioether Sulfone)s”, Advanced Energy Materials, 1(2), 203-211, 2011. (DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201000062).
- L. Yang, Z. Cheng, L. Wilson, and Meilin Liu, “New Insights into Sulfur Poisoning Behavior of Ni-YSZ anodes from Long-Term Operation of Anode-supported Cells”, Energy and Environmental Science, 3, 1804-1809, 2010.
- N. Sharma, D. Oh, H. Abernathy, M. Liu, P. N. First, and T. M. Orlando, “Signatures of epitaxial graphene grown on Si-terminated 6H-SiC (0001)”, Surface Science, 604 (2) 84-88, 2010.
- L. Yang, S.Z. Wang, K. Blinn, M.F. Liu, Z. Liu, Z. Cheng, and Meilin Liu, “Enhanced Sulfur and Coking Tolerance of a Mixed Ion Conductor for SOFCs: BaZr0.1Ce0.7Y0.2-xYbxO3-d”, Science, 326, 126-129, 2009.
- L. Yang, C. Zuo, S. Wang, Z. Cheng, and Meilin Liu, “A Novel Composite Cathode for Low-Temperature SOFCs Based on Oxide Proton Conductors,” Advanced Materials, 20(17), 3280-3283, 2008.
- Z. Bao, M. Weatherspoon, Y. Cai, S. Shian, G. Ahmad, M. Dickerson, B. Church, Z. Kang, H. Abernathy, C. Summers, Meilin Liu, K. Sandhage, “Chemical reduction of three-dimensional silica micro-assemblies into microporous silicon replicas,” Nature, 446(7132), 172-175, 2007.
- Y. M. Choi, M. C. Lin, Meilin Liu, “Computational Study on the Catalytic Mechanism toward Oxygen Reduction on La0.5Sr0.5MnO3(110) in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells,” Angewandte Chemie, Int. Ed., 46, 7214-7219, 2007.
- L. Besra and M. Liu, “A review on fundamentals and applications of electrophoretic deposition (EPD)”, Progress in Materials Science, 52, 1-61, 2007.
- C. Zuo, S. Zha, M. Hatano, M. Uchiyama, and Meilin Liu, "Ba(Zr0.1Ce0.7Y0.2)O3 as Electrolyte for Low-temperature SOFCs," Advanced Materials, 18, 3318, 2006.
- Y. Zhang, S. Zha, M. Liu, "Dual-scale porous electrodes for solid oxide fuel cells from polymer foams," Advanced Materials, 17, 487, 2005.
- Z. Zhou, S. Li, Y. Zhang, Meilin Liu, W. Li, "Promotion of Proton Conduction in Polymer Electrolyte Membranes by 1H-1,2,3-Triazole," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 127, 10824, 2005.
- H.-C. Shin, Meilin Liu, "Three-dimensional porous copper-tin alloy electrodes for rechargeable lithium batteries," Advanced Functional Materials, 15, 582, 2005.
- Y. Liu, Meilin Liu, "Growth of aligned square-shaped SnO2 tube arrays," Advanced Functional Materials, 15, 57, 2005.
- Y. Liu, S. Zha, and Meilin Liu, “Novel Nanostructured Electrodes Fabricated by Combustion CVD”, Advanced Materials 16 (3) 256-260, 2004.
- Y. Liu, J. Dong, and Meilin Liu, “Well Aligned Nano-“Box Beams” of SnO2”, Advanced Materials, 16 (4), 353-356, 2004.
- H.-C. Shin, J. Dong, and Meilin Liu, “Porous Tin Oxides Prepared Using an Anodic Oxidation Process”, Advanced Materials 16(3), 237-240, 2004.
- H. C. Shin, J. Dong, and Meilin Liu, “Nanoporous Structures Prepared by an Electrochemical Deposition Process”, Advanced Materials, 15 (19), 1610-1614, 2003.
- C. Xia and Meilin Liu, "Novel Electrode Materials for Low-Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells", Advanced Materials 14, 521-523, 2002.
- C. Xia, W. L. Rauch, F. Chen, and Meilin Liu, “Sm0.5Sr0.5CoO3 cathodes for low-temperature SOFCs”, Solid State Ionics, 149, 11-19, 2002.
- C. Xia and Meilin Liu, "Low-temperature SOFCs based on Gd0.1Ce0.9O1.95 fabricated by dry pressing”, Solid State Ionics, 144, 249-255, 2001.
- C. Xia, F. Chen, and Meilin Liu, “Reduced-temperature solid oxide fuel cells fabricated by screen printing”, Solid State & Electrochem. Lett., 4, A52-A54, 2001.
- G. Zhang and M. Liu, “Effect of particle size and dopant on properties of SnO2-based gas sensors”, Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical, 69, 144-152, 2000.
- F. L. Chen and Meilin Liu, “Preparation of mesoporous tin oxide for electrochemical applications” Chem. Comm.,18, 1829-1830, 1999.
- Meilin Liu and J. Winnick, "Fundamental Issues in Modeling of Porous Electrodes of Mixed Ionic-Electronic Conductors", Solid State Ionics, 118 (1999) 11-21.
- Meilin Liu, "Equivalent Circuit Approximation to Porous Mixed-Conducting Electrodes", J. Electrochem. Soc., 145, 142-154, 1998.
- Meilin Liu, "Distributions of Charged Defects in Mixed Ionic-Electronic Conductors, Part I, General Equations for Homogeneous MIECs", J. Electrochem. Soc.,144 (1997) 1813-1834.
- Meilin Liu and H. Hu, "Effect of Interfacial Resistance on Transport Properties of Mixed-Conducting Electrolytes," J. Electrochem. Soc.,143, L109-112, 1996.
- Meilin Liu and D. S. Wang, "Preparation of La1-xSrxCo1-yFeyO3-z Thin Films, Membranes, and Coatings on Dense and Porous Substrates", J. Mater. Res., 10 (1995) 3210-3221
- Meilin Liu, S. J. Visco, and L. C. De Jonghe, “Novel Solid Redox Polymerization Electrodes for All-Solid-State, Thin-Film, Rechargeable Lithium Batteries”, J. Electrochem. Soc.,138, 1891-1895, 1991.
- Meilin Liu, S. J. Visco, and L. C. De Jonghe, “Electrode Kinetics for Organo-disulfides Cathodes for Storage Batteries”, J. Electrochem. Soc.,137, 750-759, 1990.