Office: LOVE 371
B.A. Physics (with Honors), 1999, Polytechnic Institute, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Ph.D. Materials Science, 2003, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
Gleb Yushin is an Assistant Professor of the School of Materials and Engineering at The Georgia Institute of Technology effective July 2007. He has received numerous awards and recognitions, including the Roland B. Snow Award from the American Ceramic Society, NASA Nano 50 Award, various best poster awards from the Electrochemical Society, Materials Research Society, and North American Membrane Society meetings, and multiple awards at ceramographic competitions. His recent work was featured on the cover of Nano Letters and was covered by Nature, Science, Advanced Functional Materials, Innovation Philadelphia Newsletter, Philadelphia Business Journal, and Frost & Sullivan, among others.
Dr. Yushin received a M.S. in Physics from Saint-Petersburg Technical University (Russia) and a Ph.D. in Materials Science from North Carolina State University. Upon graduation in fall 2003 he joined Drexel University as a postdoctoral associate and soon was promoted to a research assistant professor position. At Drexel, Gleb has been leading the research efforts in nanoporous carbide derived carbon - based materials and devices for energy, environment and bio-related applications.
MSE Research Areas:
- Nanocomposites for Energy, Environmental, and Biomedical Applications
- Carbon-based Hybrid Materials
- NSF CAREER Award, 2010
- R&D 100 Award, 2009
- AFOSR Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, 2009
- Honda Initiation Award, 2008
- Petroleum Research Fund Young Investigator Award, 2008
- Roland B. Snow Award from the American Ceramic Society, 2007
- Nano 50™ Award (Technology category), NASA Nanotech Briefs®, 2006
- Roland B. Snow Award, American Ceramic Society, 2005
- Saint-Petersburg City Scholarship For Best Graduate Students and Young Scientists, 1998
- Polytechnic Institute Fellowship Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies, 1997-1999
- Soros Fellowship, International Science Foundation, 1997
- Best Poster and/or Competition Awards: best poster award, Electrochemical Society Meeting, 2005; best poster award, North American Membrane Society, 2005; best poster award, Materials Research Society, 2005; honorable mention, Nanotechnology Business Data Competition, 2004; 1st place award (Combined Techniques category American Ceramic Society’s annual Ceramographic Competition, 2004; Honorable Mention (TEM category), International Metallographic Society Convention, 2005; 1st place award (Combined Techniques category), American Ceramic Society’s annual Ceramographic Competition, 2005; 1st place award (SEM category), American Ceramic Society’s annual Ceramographic Competition, 2005; 1st place award (Combined Techniques category), American Ceramic Society’s annual Ceramographic Competition, 2006
- Electron microscopy and relevant techniques: analytical and high resolution electron microscopy (TEM and HRTEM), atomic resolution Z-contrast imaging, electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS), energy dispersive X-Ray spectroscopy (EDS), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Porosity characterization and relevant techniques: gas (vapor) sorption, surface area and pore size distribution analyses, heat of adsorption measurements
- Surface chemistry: X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), Auger spectroscopy
- Vibrational spectroscopy: UV, visible and IR Raman spectroscopy, Surface Enhanced Raman, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Semiconductor processing and characterization: clean room, photolithography, wet and dry etching, thin film deposition (CVD, PVD), fabrication and testing IC devices, profilometry, ellipsometry, interferometry, wetting angle measurements, optical microscopy, atomic force microscopy (AFM), and X-Ray diffraction (XRD)
Selected Refereed Papers (out of > 60)
1. I. Kovalenko, D. Bucknall, G. Yushin, Detonation Nanodiamond and Onion-like Carbon - Embedded Polyaniline for Supercapacitors, Advanced Functional Materials, 2010
2. A. Magasinski, P. Dixon, B. Hertzberg, A. Kvit, J. Ayala, G. Yushin, High-Performance Lithium-Ion Anodes Using Hierarchical Bottom-up Approach, Nature Materials, 2010, 9 (4) p. 353-358.
3. B. Hertzberg, A. Alexeev, G. Yushin, Deformations in Si-Li Anodes Upon Electrochemical Alloying in Nano-Confined Space, JACS Communications, Article ASAP, 2010, 132 (25), p. 8548
4. Y. Korenblit, M. Rose, E. Kockrick, L. Borchardt, A. Kvit, S. Kaskel, G. Yushin, High-Rate Electrochemical Capacitors Based on Ordered Mesoporous Silicon Carbide-Derived Carbon, ACS Nano, 2010, 4 (3), p. 1337-1344.
5. A. Kajdos, F. Jones, A. Kvit, J. Jagiello, G. Yushin, Tailoring the Pore Alignment for Rapid Ion Transport in Microporous Carbon, JACS Communications, Article ASAP, 2010, 132 (1) p. 3252.
6. S. Yachamaneni, G. Yushin, S.-H. Yeon, Y. Gogotsi, C. Howell, S. Sandeman, G. Phillips, S. Mikhalovsky, Mesoporous Carbide-Derived Carbon for Cytokine Removal from Blood Plasma, Biomaterials, 2010, 31(18) p. 4789-4794.
7. M.V. Rybin, A.B. Khanikaev, M. Inoue, K.B. Samusev, M.J. Steel, G. Yushin, and M.F. Limonov, Fano Resonance between Mie and Bragg Scattering in Photonic Crystals. Physical Review Letters, 2009. 103(2):
8. K.D. Behler, A. Stravato, V. Mochalin, G. Korneva, G. Yushin, and Y. Gogotsi, Nanodiamond-Polymer Composite Fibers and Coatings. ACS Nano, 2009. 3(2), p. 363-369.
9. A.V.Baryshev, A.B. Khanikaev, M. Inoue, P.B. Lim, A.V. Sel'kin, G. Yushin, and M.F. Limonov, Resonant behavior and selective switching of stop bands in three-dimensional photonic crystals with inhomogeneous components. Physical Review Letters, 2007, 99(6).
10. J. Chmiola, G. Yushin, Y. Gogotsi P, C. Portet, Simon, P.-L. Taberna, Anomalous increase in carbon capacitance at pore size below 1 nm, Science, 313, 2006 (no. 5794), p.1760-1763.
11. G. Yushin, R.K. Dash, Y. Gogotsi, and J.E. Fischer, Enhanced Hydrogen Uptake by Carbide Derived Carbons with Optimized Pore Structure, Advanced Functional Materials, 2006, 16, p.2288-2293.
12. S. Osswald, G. Yushin, V. Mochalin, S. Kucheyev, Y. Gogotsi, Control of sp2/sp3 carbon ratio and surface chemistry of nanodiamond powders by selective oxidation in air, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, 128, p.11635-11642 (2006).
13. G. Yushin, E.N. Hoffman, M.W. Barsoum, Y.Gogotsi, C.A. Howell, S.R. Sandeman, G.J. Phillips, A.W. Lloyd, and S.V. Mikhalovsky, Mesoporous carbide-derived carbon with porosity tuned for efficient adsorption of cytokines, Biomaterials, 2006, 27, p.5755-5762.
14. Z.G. Cambaz, G. Yushin, Y. Gogotsi, and V.G. Lutsenko, Anisotropic Etching of SiC Wiskers, Nano Lett., 2006, 6 (3): p.548-551. (cover page image)
15. Y. Gogotsi, R.K. Dash, G. Yushin, T. Yildirim, G. Laudisio, and J.E. Fischer, Tailoring of Nanoscale Porosity in Carbide-Derived Carbons for Hydrogen Storage. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127 (46), p.16006-16007.
- G. Yushin, A. Nikitin, Y. Gogotsi, Carbide Derived Carbon, Ch. 8 in Nanomaterials Handbook, Ed. Y. Gogotsi, CRC Press, (2006).
- G. Yushin, A. Nikitin, Y. Gogotsi, Carbide Derived Carbon, Ch. 6 in Carbon Nanomaterials, Ed. Y. Gogotsi, CRC Press, (2206).