Industry Day 2013
The School of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) at Georgia Tech is pleased to announce the first annual “Industry Day” on Thursday, October 24, 2013.
A highlight of the day will be an Industry Networking Career Social. This will be a forum for representatives from industry to present employment, co-op, and internship opportunities at their organization, and have one-on-one interviews with our undergraduate and graduate students. Tours of faculty research laboratories and a dedicated poster session will showcase the experiences of our students and types of research being conducted in practically all forms of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, composites, textiles, fibers, biomaterials, and nanomaterials. This research addresses societal grand challenges in the areas of energy, environment, health and human welfare, infrastructure, security, and transportation.
We invite division directors and technology leaders to participate in this complimentary one-day event. The Industry Networking Career Social will provide direct access for you to meet with and interview our students for possible employment opportunities. You will also receive a close-up view of research in MSE which is aimed at envisioning, predicting, designing and developing materials with multiple functionalities, prescribed forms, and properties customized for desired applications and performance requirements. Faculty will be available to discuss opportunities for short and long-term industry-university research collaboration, as well as usage of equipment in individual faculty laboratories and shared facilities.
This event is by RSVP only and limited to two representatives per organization.
Highlights of the day:
11:00 – noon Industry Representative Panel Presentations
Graduate, Rm. 185
- David Bowden, MS Met '78, Ph.D Chem (Met) '82, Technical Fellow, Boeing Company, EAB member
- Chris Revell, PTCh '03, Ph.D BioE '08 (Rice University), Project Scientist, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, MSE mentor
- Yancy Riddle, MS MSE '98, Ph.D MSE '01, CEO, SixthSense MedTech, EAB member
- Dr. Elizabeth A. McFarland, TE '95, MS TE '98, PhD TE '01, Senior Research Scientist, Invista
Undergraduate, Rm. 183
- Ted Meihofer, Text '94, Financial Adviser, UBS Financial Services, MSE mentor
- Ramona Walsh, PFE '05, Product Developer, Kimberly-Clark Professional for Tissue, Towel and Skin Care Products for North America
- Mark Terry, CerE '81, President, Polysius Corporation (a Thyssen-Krupp company)
12:00 noon Registration and Lunch (Industry representatives only) - Love Bldg, 2nd floor atrium
1:00 – 3:00 Research Lab Tours
3:30 – 5:30 Student Poster Session & Graduate student interview opportunity for industry guests
4:30 – 5:30 Reception